Sneezing may be annoying . But it is actually a protective mechanism that helps expel allergens and irritants out of your body. Sneezing is not usually a serious problem but if it occurs persistently it can be frustrating .
Even if you are a frequent sneezer you cannot always depend upon the allopathic medicines . Why not try some home remedies to stop sneezing naturally? Here are some such natural remedies for sneezing. Many natural remedies provide temporary relief . But there are a few many which actually help you get better permanently or for a longer duration . If you sneeze for just a few times a day , there is no need to adopt medication . It is needed only when you sneeze continuously and it starts disrupting your daily functioning :
- Sneezing , running nose , nasal congestion are common symptoms of cold caused by virus.
- Drinking hot water during the days when you are suffering from cold helps you to overcome running nose.
- You should take plenty of oral fluids in the form of chicken soup , ginger tea, peppermint tea, vegetable soup etc. For spicing up the soups use garlic as it works as anti microbial.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon powde r mixed with a tsp of honey and get rid of cold.
- Grate the fresh Amla and stir it into a glass of hot water for 5 minutes . Add a tea spoon of honey and sip the amla mixture without straining. The antioxidant properties of Amla bring great relief in the running nose and sneezing.
- Mix ½ tsp of pepper powder with lukewarm water . Drink it 2-3 times a day.
- Fennel tea – when preparing fennel tea never boil the water after adding the seeds to it, this will destroy the natural oils in the fennel. Fennel has anti viral properties.
- Masala tea – Add all spice like black pepper, cinnamon , clove, ginger, peppermint , Tulsi leaves , fennel seeds in boiled water. Keep it aside for 15 minutes . just warm it and strain it before drinking.
- Have pinch of black pepper powder with 1 tsp honey . Take it twice in a day.
- Add quercetin based foods in your diet . Quercetin acts as a antihistamine. It is found in apples , tomatoes, red onions.
- Consume vitamin C to stop sneezing. It acts as a natural anti histamine. It is found in abundance in amla, grapes, oranges etc.
- Mixture of juice of basil leaves ½ tsp + honey 1 tsp+ ginger juice ½ tsp+ black pepper powder ½ tsp +turmeric ½ tsp ( it contains curcumin which acts as decongestatnt) . Take it twice in day. It is very very effective in cold and allergies.
- Sneezing and running nose can be treated by eating ½ tsp of pepper powder or turmeric powder with lukewarm wate r and this will relieve you from running nose.
- Boil carom leaves in the water ; strain it and drink it is a natural remedy to cure cold.
- Do gargling with warm salty wate r ( also add lemon juice ½ tsp this creates an acidic environment that is hostile to bacteria and viruses).
- Have steam – Steam with few drops of eucalyptus oil is very helpful.
-Make your home dust proof . For this you need to stop using wall to wall carpets.
-Wash the curtains of your house frequently.
-The moment you feel you are about to sneeze touch the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue. Tickle the tongue over this area of your mouth roof just for few seconds , your sneeze would stop half way and will not show up.
-Making your own tea using dried herbs is better than buying tea bags.
-Try to stay warm and rest if possible when you are down with cold. This way your body is able to use its energy to fight common cold and its symptoms.
-Pinch under your nose with the side of your forefinger. Press into the cartilage of your nose , just under the bone of the bridge of your nose. This will pinch one of the nerves involved in triggering a sneeze.
-Catch the part of your nose above the tip and stretch it out as if you are removing your nose out of your face.It should not be painful but simply stretch out your cartilage.
-Use saline solution. It may help soothe upper respiratory allergies by removing irritants that become lodged in the nose and cause inflammation.
-Generally people confuse between allergies and cold and infection.
-Allergies produce a clear and thin mucus while colds and infections cause a yellowish and green thick mucus.
Very very important tip :-
You will never be affected by weather changes if you use these home remedies in your routine life. This is because all these remedies work as anti histaminic, anti viral and boost the immunity.
-Dr. Suman Setia , BAMS,DNHE,PGDHHM.
Click for : 1) Diet in Dengue Fever