Home remedies for Psoriasis
If you have psoriasis or know anyone with this frustrating skin condition , you can understand that it's much like that uninvited guest. It shows up in the form of dry, inflamed, red, scaly patches of skin. Not only are psoriasis flare -ups aggravating , they make people with the condition so self conscious about their appearance that they are reluctant to go to the grocery store without ample covering. Probably most frustrating of all is that there’s no magic formula to kick this guest out of town indefinitely.
You have to learn how to deal with flare ups as they come and take good care of yourself and your skin:
It is believed that your immune system and genes may contribute to the condition. Even though it affects only your skin, Psoriasis actually begins deep inside in your immune system. It is a chronic skin condition caused by an overactive immune system.. Reasons may be:
Having a viral or bacterial infection
It is more common in people between the ages of 15 and 35. Many people note a worsening of their symptoms in the colder winter months.
How it occurs in the body
The body naturally develops new skin cells every month to replace skin that sheds off. But in psoriasis new skin cells form within days rather than weeks. This rapid growth causes dead skin cells to accumulate on the skin’s surface, resulting in thick patches of red ,dry and itchy skin.
There is no cure for psoriasis but with home treatment you can reduce the inflammation and skin irritation.
1. Supplements of vitamin D help in easing the symptoms of Psoriasis.
2. To prevent dry skin , sensitive skin moisturizers are very effective. Moisturizer help your body hold onto natural oils and water.
3. Most soaps and perfumes have dyes and other chemicals in them that may irritate your skin. Sure they can make you smell great but they also can inflame Psoriasis . Avoid such products or you can choose with sensitive skin labels. Choose soaps carefully. Harsh soaps can dry and irritate the skin and increase itching. So opt for a mild soap instead.
4. It may be due to stress. So reducing stress can be very beneficial in this.
5. Avoid alcohol and smoking as it can also trigger the symptoms of psoriasis.
6. Turmeric has been found to help minimize psoriasis flare-ups. It can be taken in supplements or sprinkled on your food.
7. Coconut oil also helps to get these scales off. The important thing is to put it on your head and leave it there for 30 to 60 minutes. Use it before and after bathing.
8. Eliminating red meat and fatty snacks may help reduce flare- ups that can be triggered by such foods.
9. Gel of aloe vera can be applied to the skin up to two times a day. It can help reduce redness and scaling associated with psoriasis.
10. Use right shampoo. Use one that has salicylic acid. You should lather, keep it on the scalp for 2-3 minutes and then rinse. On alternate days you can use an aloe vera based shampoo 2-3 times a week followed by an aloe vera based conditioner.Use medicated lotions, zinc pyrithione gel and Ketokonazole shampoo.
11. Have plenty of food rich in omega 3 fatty acids like fish, nuts , flax seeds etc. They have ability to reduce inflammation.
12. Bathing daily helps remove scales and calm inflamed skin. Lukewarm bath is very beneficial. Hot water may be irritant for your skin. Moisturize immediately after your bath for double benefits. In winters bath every other day because they can strip your skin of natural oils.
13. Slim down- Being overweight makes psoriasis more uncomfortable and harder to control.
14. Banana peel – It is the vital ingredient to cure skin ailments. You can use a banana peel and rub the inner area of the peel to your lesions. It will soothe your skin and remove the rashes.
15. Overnight protection- To help reduce the scaling , redness and itching of your skin you can use an ointment or effective skin cream prescribed by your dermatologist. Apply it on the affected area and cover them with a plastic wrap. This is to lock in the cream overnight for a soothing experience.You can wake up the next morning, remove the wrap and wash away the scales.
16. Avoid contact with chemical substances . Deodorants and dyes are not suitable for people with psoriasis. If you can find products made especially for sensitive skin you can use them.
17. People with psoriasis often feel lethargic so engage yourself in some activity or another.
18. The medicines prescribed for Psoriasis are very strong anti-biotics. Before taking them , do get tested your liver , Hb and Platelet count etc.Avoid taking any type of steroid etc.
19. If you have Psoriasis , don't neglect your injury etc.
20. Sometimes Psoriasis in the beginning can be cured by Laser .
Avoid anything that you think will trigger it. Be smart and tackle the situation wisely.